Thursday, January 26, 2012

Music Videos

    I really enjoy working on music videos. They usually run anywhere from 1-3 days depending on budget and extravagance. They are usually VERY long hours with ungodly call times but I still love them. One of the things that make it nice while working on music videos as opposed to regular film/tv is that you can make sound. When I say make sound I mean you can have a conversation with someone, walk somewhere, open a door and not be terrified that the sound guy is going to give you death glare. Normal film and television your actors or "talent" are suited with microphones that pick up everything, and I mean EVERYTHING (Corey Haim ring a bell?). So no clicking away on your blackberry or wearing cha-cha heels that sound like a 10 horses stampeding their way across the sound stage. So when picture is up and they yell "ROLLING" you better be on your best behaviour and muffle any sneeze, cough or laugh. I made the horrible mistake on one of my first professional film job to find my way over to the food service table and grab a bag of chips that had been seducing me with their eyes since I arrived at 4am. Opening the bag and beginning to munch away I look up to see the horror on every single person in the rooms face. You would have thought I had run over a kitten or something. Needless to say I learned the hard way that day.
   During music video production they play the song so that the performers can sing along. After all of the footage is taken the video editor will piece the footage together then overlay the song in its entirety.  So making some noise won't get you booted. But I suggest maybe bringing earplugs because sometimes it is LOUD. At the end of the day regardless of if you have ever heard the song before, like the song or not you will be forced to listen to it, over and over again.  For weeks afterwards you will find yourself humming and singing asking yourself..."are you down with the sickness?" I wish I could do them everyday!



This was a music video that I worked on with Frank Ippolito for the band Disturbed. We used INSANE amounts of fake blood. It was a blast. I used a combination of liquid blood, mouth blood and thick blood all over every member of the band. There are so many different types of fake blood on the market and some that you can make at home. Soon I will be posting some reviews of my favorite and some recipes that you can make on your own. I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment